(Mentoring, Life-on-Life, Discipleship)
Mentoring, Life on Life Relationships, and Discipleship are all terms that seem to be interchangeable in the Christian world. However, we each come to these terms with very different ideas and expectations. For Briarwood Women’s Ministry we are moving towards providing opportunity for engagement in these three areas. Below are the definitions we will use to identify the distinctions and expectations for each:
• Mentoring. Pairing based around a book study of a focused topic. There is an expectation that the mentor would influence, provide guidance and direction to the mentee as subjects come up in a book study or through conversation. The relationship is once a week for a one semester commitment of time. Recommended Books:
- Growing Together by Melissa Kruger
- Everyday Faithfulness by Glenna Marshall
- The Gospel Centered Woman by Wendy Alsup
- In His Image by Jen Wilkin
- The Gospel Comes with a House Key by Rosaria Butterfield
- Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung
- Growing in Gratitude by Mary Mohler
• Life on Life Relationships. This is an informal introduction to a relationship with someone of another generation. It is built around coffee or lunch, hobbies or shared interests. The pair commits to meet on a regular basis every other week for a year. The hope is that gospel-centered conversations will naturally occur through a growing friendship.
• Discipleship. The disciple is committed to entering into a relationship with a discipler who will help them grow in their spiritual disciplines through weekly meetings with homework and focused discussions related to spiritual growth and vitality. The commitment is one semester at a time through a set curriculum. We would provide training for those discipling someone.
Registration has closed for Spring 2022. Fall 2022 registration will begin in August.