Briarwood’s Lay Counselors attend a twenty-eight week (2 hours per week) training session, affiliated with Birmingham Theological Seminary, which equips them to help counselees with reconciliation of relationships with God and others.
The training process includes required reading, audio/video tape instruction, class participation, lectures, role playing, co-counseling, and supervised counseling. For information about the Lay Counseling Ministry and Training contact the Director of Counseling Ministries at (205) 776-5281.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS DESIRED IN LAY COUNSELORS
- Personal commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Baptized in a reformed evangelical church.
- Bible knowledge and application of principle.
- Morals, ethics, and behavior consistent with Scripture.
- Stability and brokenness as evidence of spiritual and emotional maturity.
- Ability to counsel – e.g. nurturing, self disclosing, reflective, sensitive, able to deal with strong emotions.
- Personal warmth and caring.
- Ability to communicate clearly and listen attentively.
- Endorses Briarwood’s theological beliefs and Statement of Faith.
- Willing to submit to and articulate the position of Briarwood’s church policies on abortion, homosexuality, divorce and remarriage, sex outside of marriage, etc.
- Ability to work well with others, receive direction, and receive helpful criticism.
- Committed to the required training program and a minimum of one year of service in the Lay Counseling Program.
TOOLS OF THE BIBLICAL COUNSELOR
Our indispensable tools in helping you achieve healthy relationships are the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Word of God and prayer. Through evangelism and discipleship we comfort the hurting, help the depressed, calm the angry and guide the prideful toward God’s will in their lives.